A word from God's Word

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Dena Marie Bonner, my best friend

This is the hardest post I have written our will write in my entire life. On Oct. 1 my mom was admitted in the hospital with what we thought was just a flare up with her ulcer. But after blood was taken we found out that there was cancer in her lymph node and was diagnosed with adenercarsonoma with breast primary. We thought that it could be contained, but it spread with a vengance. By the time we saw it, it had spread to her bones and she was in agonizing pain. So they put her on high doses of medicine which made her really out of it, but if they tried to lower it, she would be in pain again. We brought hospice in, but after 5 weeks of being up with my mom every night, making sure she got the right medicine, and watching her fade away, we admitted her into a place called Clarehouse. It is an organization that gives terminally ill patients a place to pass on in an uplifting envirnoment, but have 24 hour care with hospice nurses working with them. She was admitted last Wednesday, but on Saturday morning was at peace and went home with her Lord.

In the 60 short years she was here on this Earth she impacted hundreds of children's lives in the classroom, was married to the same man for 35 years, and was my best friend. When I was growing up I talked with her about everything, and that never changed. We talked everyday, sometimes several times a day, she advised me, encouraged me, loved me, and was my everything. In the past four years, she has also been the world's best Nan. I was her pride and joy...until my children came around, they were her life. The thing that hurt her the most leading up to her death was not being able to see them and love on them, but she is with them now, and forever. She was here when I got married, and when I had both of my children, two things that I wanted more than anything. And even though I will be alive longer without her than with her, I am at peace that this is the Lord's will and I trust Him that He knows best.

She LOVED life, loved everything and never let anything get her down, so b/c of that and b/c of the stregth that the Lord has given me, I will go on. I still cannot believe I won't get to talk with her on the phone, or she won't get to see Kaitlyn take her first steps or see Andrew go to K-4 in person and I am very sad. So ask for your prayers that when I get in the pit, I don't live in the pit, but just make a short trip. I ask for prayer for my dad as he goes on and begins to live life alone, and all that entails. I ask for prayer for Andrew who now knows that his Nan won't be here anymore, but that she is "playing with God in Heaven". Which when we talked to him about it, he goes momma I bet God is holding Nan's hand and making her feel better. I love you all so much and thank you for your friendship, for your love and for your prayers. I ask that you keep that up as I begin to adjust my life without the best mother and friend a girl could ever ask for.















15 comments:

The Chandler Clan said...

what a great post and a great tribute to your mom. I'll continue to pray for you.

Molly said...

Thank you for sharing your story. I have been dying to "hear" from you and know that you are just putting one foot in front of the other. Know that you are loved, sweet friend. You are precious to me and have said many prayers for us in the last year...it is my honor to lift your family up right now and you struggle to just breathe and sleep. Know that I will be praying for you especially at night, when it's the hardest and in the morning when you wake and realize that it is true and experience that pain over again.

I love you and am so sorry.
Molly

Carri said...

Wow, what a great post about your mom. And so true. You did an awesome job talking about her at the service. How proud she'd be of you!! That is a great pic of you and her together!

Pokrandt's said...

Wishing you & your family strength & peace during this time of loss. May angels walk with you today & always! In His Time, Amanda Pokrandt (Krystal's Sister)

Giles Family said...

I love you! You described your relationship with your mom beautifully!

Leanne said...

I love the pictures of your beautiful mom! Your post is wonderful and a beautiful tribute to her. Your words at her service were amazing!

Laura said...

Hi sweet friend....I have been checking your blog everyday to see when you would write....I hope I can be the kind of mother to my children that your mom was to you. How awesome that we have a God who gives us the hope (and promise) of eternity! How sweet that your mom is there now, without pain, experiencing the unexplainable. Thank you for sharing. I will be praying...love you dearly, Laura

Krystal said...

Allison, I love this post you wrote about your mother. The pictures are wonderful, too. Praying for you, Krystal

Bethany said...

What a beautiful post for your sweet momma, Allison! =) Know that we are thinking of you and praying for you all. And I loved the pictures =) Hope to see you all over Thanksgiving!!! =) Love You and am praying for you, Bethany

SoonerAggieMom said...

Truer words could not be spoken and we can all take your advice and pray that when we are in the pit, we won't stay there long.

You spoke at the service? Wow, that's huge!

I've enjoyed talking to you the last few days and can't wait to see you next week.

Praying for you daily.
I love you, Laura

SoonerAggieMom said...

LOL, I just saw Chandler in the pic with you & Dena.

Fether said...

Precious post! That's how your mom would want to be remembered. She was always a joy and made sure others knew they were too! She will be missed.
Thanks for sharing her with us!

Kathryn said...

I am so sorry to hear about you mom! I will be praying for you and your family.

Amanda said...

Allison -- What an amazing post about your mom. I will absolutely continue to pray for you, but please know that grief is a process. To grieve is not to exhibit a lack of faith, but rather, an opportunity to exercise your faith as you question and struggle, as you press into God, and as you rely on your Comforter that He provided in the Holy Spirit. I hope that you can embrace this beautiful journey of pain and realize that God makes even this good. I love you, friend, and am here if you ever need to talk.

melanie said...

well it couldn't have been said better! what a legacy you have in your mom's memories. you know, that's something that no one can EVER take away! relish in them!

love you, melanie

Site meter